Re: DML:Trannies - Eric Kurtz

From: W. Jack Hilton III (HEMI@charter.net)
Date: Sun Oct 17 1999 - 09:42:49 EDT

>But anyways, the question was can the 46RE be swapped out of a Ram and put
in
>a Dakota that had a 44RE.
>The 46RE's tailshaft is longer than the 44RE. You dont need a custom drive
>shaft if you can get one from from a Dakota with the 46RE. It would
probably
>be easier to have one made and balanced though.

Only Dak with a 46RE is the R/T to my knowledge .

>It should bolt up to the sixer as long as they are/were both magnum engines.
>You will probably need to get a new torque converter to suit the engine. It
>may not run right if you use the TC made for the ram's V8 engine. And I
dont
>think the 44RE's TC will work in the 46RE.
>Thats my .02
>Boog

I believe you are right about the 46RE Torque Convertor .

The 46RE is used in the 360 for the most part , I dunno if they use them of
the 44RE in the 318 Rams .
The 360 is externally balanced on the flywheel , so at the very least you
will need to balance the flywheel .

Eric , you have done this , right ?

W. Jack Hilton III

HEMI@charter.net