Re: New Exhaust Questions

From: Doug Myers (dougmyers@radix.net)
Date: Mon Oct 18 1999 - 00:00:57 EDT

Hey Mike,

    Are you sure? I know that 3" DUAL exhaust would hurt my low end, but a
3" SINGLE should be sized just right for the V8.

    Actually, low end torque isn't much of a problem in my truck. Alot of
times it seems that I've got too much low end and not enough mid-high. The
truck seems to run out of breath around 3K, even with the mods. They've have
helped, though. It seems the more than I free up the intake and exhaust the
better it gets.

    I've got the 318, with the 5-speed (something like a 4:1 first gear),
and the 3.92 rear gears to top it all off. I think that moving the torque up
about would help my truck more than hurt it, especially for better
acceleration (what I'm after).

    I know the stock exhaust is really restrictive. The newer trucks use the
exact same exhaust for the V6 and V8. Its sized good for the V6 (1-1/2 - 2"
headpipes, 2.5" tubing), but it really chokes off the V8. I've seen some
exhaust charts that recommend 2.5" single for engines around 3.9 litres and
200hp, and also recommend 3" for engines around 5.2L and 250hp. The link is
http://www.bobsmuffler.com/sugpipe1.htm ... I found it kind of interesting.

Doug

>>ooh... 3" is gonna' hurt your low end, even on a V8. I say, get the
headpipe done. You may even wanna' look into the JBA's and the head pipe
that they have. I would personally go with nothing bigger than a 2.5", but
that's just me =)