Re: Snow vs 2wd!

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Mon Oct 18 1999 - 16:02:55 EDT

At 02:29 PM 10/18/99 -0400, you wrote:
>How about rim size? Should I stick with my current 15" stock rims, or get a
>pair of "larger" rims just for the snow tires?

I would (and did) stick with the 15" rim. As a matter of fact, I use
the stock 15x7 rims for the 4 Blizzaks and bought 15x7 AR-211 rims for
non-winter use.

>Of course this would mean I would have larger rims on the rear than on the
>front - is that a bad idea?

I've never run with different front/rear rim diameters before. I can't see
why not. I run with different front/rear tire diameters on my '70 Challenger.
I can't think of why this would be any different.

>Also, someone posted some info on all steel rims (which were heavy), my
>thought was that if all steel rims are heavy (and cheaper), I should go with
>them?! Kevin

The steel rim is only, at the most, 5 lb. heavier but that extra weight would
be good for winter driving. The only problem that I see is that these steel
rims are 15 x 8. You should be running a tall tire not a wide tire for it be
most effective in snow. I believe that the 235/75R15 tread width is under
8".
The 'ideal' combo is to have a tread width equal to rim width for full patch
on the ground and less stress on the sidewalls. Also, quality snow tires
beyond
this size and diameter get more expensive.

Hope this helps.

Bob. Southern Ontario, Canada.
'97 FR CC Sport, 5.2L, 3.55 SG, auto.
Racing weight: 4,350lb ET: 15.234 Trap speed: 89.81 mph