RE: Motor Trend "Muscle 2000" Comparison (Kinda Long)

From: Jon Winkelhake (jon_w@tjhale.com)
Date: Fri Oct 29 1999 - 13:43:50 EDT

        They always say you shouldn't compare apples to oranges, and even though
it's a cheesy cliche', it really applies here. I'm not sticking up for Motor
Trend, but every once in a while those magazine guys DO get a test vehicle
that was put together on a Friday afternoon or a Monday morning. Maybe they
just got a bad Dak or something, because according to what I'm hearing,
they're contra-dicting the performance test figures in their "Test Summary"
column they print towards the back of various issues of the magazine.

        According to M/T's 2000 New Car Issue, the figures they printed for their
previous test of the R/T shows it is more than capable of keeping up with
the big boys (i.e. it did 0-60 in 7.0 sec., SECOND fastest to only the Viper
in the entire DC lineup, including the 300M, which I believe did it in
7.8!!!)

        So take heart everyone, we all know what the 5.9 R/T can do, and we all
know that at any given moment, ANY vehicle can have a bad day at the track
(or the street). This may have just been one of those days. As for the rest
of M/T's crude comments about the R/T, all I can say to them is 'Hey,
lighten up. It's a TRUCK! Can you say T-R-U-C-K? If you guys don't have the
balls to handle a beast like the R/T, don't complain in your magazine that
it's the fault of the vehicle, and not the fault of your incompetent driving
staff.'

        Side note: Every other magazine that I've read (and I read them all) PRAISE
the R/T for it's performance, with performance numbers to back it up.

-Jon W.
'94 CC SLT V6-5spd.