Re: Re: Ping and Rattle problems

From: Dave Scelfo (macncheesemonster@hotmail.com)
Date: Fri Oct 29 1999 - 22:46:39 EDT

>BTW we failed to mention some of the other more obvious reasons for pinging
>3 lean mixture causing high cylinder temps
>4 crossfire in wires
>5 the obvious shitty gas
>Joe W.
>87 Shelby Charger 13.9
>98 Dakota 13.1

The most obvious is:
high compression ratio ;-)
Actually, high octane gas causes knock also. Running high octane when its
not necessary (and sometimes when it is) causes excessive buildup of
deposits inside the cc. These deposits do two bad things. First, the retain
heat very well, which aids knock and second, they increase the CR, which
also increases knock. So today's lesson is: Dont run high octane unless you
HAVE to.

--
Dave