RE: Re: Ping and Rattle problems

From: Bernd D. Ratsch (bernd@texas.net)
Date: Fri Oct 29 1999 - 23:00:42 EDT

That's right...don't run high octane. If you do, just run some water
through the throat of the TB for a little bit and wash away all that nasty
black stuff. (Yup...that old trick still works today.) ;)

High Octane fuel can knock just as bad as low-grade (takes a while
though)...but yup...totally correct. That why you should ADVANCE the timing
slightly to allow for the slower burn rate. That's also why most
aftermarket chips require one higher grade of fuel...they advance the
timing. (Mopar SBEC's are proof for that fact.)

Should you run 92 in your VW bug? God no...7.5 - 8.0:1 compression ratios
suck...unless ya throw a blower (or Turbo) on it...but that puts you right
back to slightly higher grade fuel. (Kinda sounds like that old Cocaine
commercial: I make more power, so I need better gas, so I can go faster, so
I can make more power.....)

This is getting silly....(and i'm getting tired.) Are we back to 5 speeds
vs. Automatics yet?

- Bernd

The most obvious is:
high compression ratio ;-)
Actually, high octane gas causes knock also. Running high octane when its
not necessary (and sometimes when it is) causes excessive buildup of
deposits inside the cc. These deposits do two bad things. First, the retain
heat very well, which aids knock and second, they increase the CR, which
also increases knock. So today's lesson is: Dont run high octane unless you
HAVE to.

--
Dave