Re: CB Radio Installation, question..

From: Kyle Kozubal (grndak4x4@home.com)
Date: Tue Nov 02 1999 - 11:23:21 EST

----- Original Message -----
From: Aaron Braun <zanphier@bellsouth.net>
To: <dakota-truck@buffnet.net>
Sent: Monday, November 01, 1999 11:18 PM
Subject: DML: CB Radio Installation, question..

> Well I somehow got talked into picking up a ChatterBox. Needless to say
its
> current wiring is jury-rigged to all hell (running from under the front
seat
> up the side and into fuse console). I need some suggestions on a good way
> make this permanent wiring, work well and on a constant power supply. I
> would like to set it up with a small switch, but I plan to keep it hidden
> under my front seat, since I don't use it all the time, only when wreaking
> havoc throughout the town, caravans, or road trips. If anyone also knows a
> good page for tuning the CB/Antenna to get max range (currently the
antenna
> is a magnet mount that resides on the top of my hood near the third light)
> and clarity. Also looking for someone with alot of CB Knowledge..lemme
know
> and I will privately E-mail as not to clutter the list with useless
babbling

I highly suggest talking with Firestik if you need any type of antennas or
antenna mounting kits or coax. They are extremely knowledgeable in the CB
area.. I am currently using their 4' Firestik II Black firerglass antenna,
Firestik's Firering Antenna Coax, HD spring, quick disconnect, and a very
nice stainless steel hood channel mount that is fully adjustable. I love the
setup. You should also pick up a SWR meter to tune your system, Radioo Shack
carries them for about $20. You will also need a small length of coax to run
from the antenna to the SWR meter, $2 from Radio Shack for a 2-3ft. piece. I
didnt want to have my CB hot all the time, incase I left it on, so I just
tapped into a 12V accecsory item, so they CB can only be on the when
ignition key is turned over. If you want the CB available to be on all the
time, I guess you could just run the positive all the way to the battary but
be sure to use a good inline fuse and a good chassis ground. Hope this helps
somewhat.
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6