RE: Suzuki's -n- Stuff

From: Bernd D. Ratsch (bernd@texas.net)
Date: Wed Nov 03 1999 - 08:19:34 EST

Don't forget the gear ratios...a lot of people run 4.56:1 and above. With
the transfer case gear reduction, you can easily see ratio's of 40+:1. For
going up hills (even with a 90hp motor), you don't need a bunch of HP...just
don't floor it (depending on the type of hill).

Most of the serious trails that i've been on (not in my Dak), the Jeep we
were using was an older CJ with a Buick V6 (bone stock) but it had the right
gears and enough torque to crawl up hill and over rocks (in 4-Low). One of
the other people we were with had a CJ with a Chevy SB 350 (also bone
stock)...no problems with that either. (And YES, there were also several
Suzuki's with us...they didn't have any problems either on the
rocks/trails.) This doesn't mean that they didn't break anything...hell, we
even busted two tie-rods.

For General Offroad use, you really don't want a high horsepower
engine...mainly a lot of torque. Putting a 454 in, let's say, a Full-Size
Truck and taking the same type of trails would not be a problem at all.
However, the driver does need to know what he/she is doing and they need to
understand the Do's and Don'ts of what type of trail they're on (not
forgetting the limits of their vehicle).

Baha running is a totally different style where, yes, you do need gobs of HP
(and TQ) to get you moving really fast and keeping it there.

- Bernd