Re: Re: RE: 318 Hop Up, Heads VS NOS

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Wed Nov 03 1999 - 18:13:24 EST

On Tue, 2 Nov 1999 NVMYDakota@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 10/30/99 9:01:21 PM Mountain Standard Time,
> nosdakota@email.msn.com writes:
>
> << But I think to get the same amount of power
> it would be alot cheaper to go on the bottle. >>
>
> Yeah I think i'll go with nitrous, my next question isn't really for youguys
> (maybe ya know) but to the best of my knowledge, Nitrous comes on at full
> throttle, and goes off once you lift, Personally I hate redlinning my truck,
> so I would watn to be able to jsut turn NO2 on and off when I want, would
> that be possible, or maybe jsut at 3/4 throttle and more... I jsut don't
> wanna trow a rod, hehehe Greg

   That would be possible, but its actually more dangerous than having it
come on only at full throttle. At anything less than full throttle (or
darn close to full throttle), the computer isn't going to be providing the
engine with as much fuel as the nitrous system "thinks" it is, and you
run the risk of a lean-out. (The kiss of death when you're running
nitrous.)

  I'm not certain, but I think you may have confused full throttle
with full RPM... You can tromp down on the gas and be at full throttle
at any RPM. Another issue with nitrous related to all this is you don't
want to have it come on too early either. It would be a good idea to
have a safety to be sure that your RPMs are at 2500-3000rpm before
the juice comes on. You don't want to be lugging the motor when all
of that extra power gets blasted into it.

  IMHO, you're better off with a computer (or mechanically) controlled
system. One of the best ways to hurt the motor is to have a little
"go button" that sprays the juice. When I do mine, I'm going to have
that "go button", but its not actually going to spray the nitrous,
it'll just activate and de-activate the circut; the computer will
take care of the juice.

                                              -Jon-

  | '96 Dodge Dakota V8, '96 Suzuki Intruder 1400, '96 Kolb FireFly 447 |