RE: Neutral drop= FRIED tranny? or other?

From: The Man From Utopia (tmfu@home.com)
Date: Sun Nov 07 1999 - 11:03:27 EST

> Well, if that got ur attention, read on!
> Nope, the dakota is fine.. I'm not that dumb.
>
> Well, we're out for a lil saturday night cruise and my buddy asks
> the owner
> of a 90 acura legend (who is going out with his sister) to let
> him drive the
> car. Says, "okay" and hands him the keys. at the 2nd red light. A ford
> f-150 pulls up to him and i said "race him!" and he puts it into
> neutral and
> gives it the race tones. and gets a positive response..
>
> So, the light turns green, and uh oh. he's still in neutral.
> REV!! nothing.
> REVs it up to 4k RPMS and just slams it into drive.
> CLUNK!!!!!! car now
> won't move..
>
> okay. here's the thing. when we got out. even in gears OR park,
> the car
> could be moved. (no parking paw, nothing) but. when you put it
> into reverse,
> you can hear clicking, and when you give it gas. the RPMs will
> rise and the
> Speedo will rise also. Then. when you put it back into PARK, you
> can hear a
> grind for about 1 second, but you can still push the car. Now.
> I'm thinking
> CV joint? Isn't the tranny putting power to the wheels? but
> something along
> that line is broken? I tried to isolate the clicking, but the
> darn car is
> low and i didn't really want to get dirty. What do you think it is?

Well from past experience detonating the tranny on my old ES I'd venture to
say that the diff is now ground coffee and possibly the case is cracked.
FWD's do not like having a N-Drop done on them. DOn't worry about the CV's.
The CV's are the strongest part of the jap trannies..

Greg
95 DSCC v6 5spd
Rahway NJ