Re: Minor Change in Voltage Gauge

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Mon Nov 08 1999 - 15:25:05 EST

On Mon, 8 Nov 1999 fawcett@uism.bu.edu wrote:

> Question for you electrical wizards out there... Prior to a couple of weeks
> ago, my voltage gauge always read straight up at 14 volts. I stored my Kota
> for about a week while on vaca. and when I returned the battery was weak (it
> just barely turned over the engine) but the truck did fire right up. I've put
> a lot of miles on it since --meaning I think the battery should be fully
> charged up by now, but the voltage meter is still reading over 14 volts with no
> additional loads (I.E. lights off, radio off, heater off, etc.).
>
> So my stupid question of the month is, does this mean anything? Should I start
> looking for a new battery? TIA!
> Tom

   Did you mean the meter is reading under 14 volts, or did you really mean
that its reading over 14? I'm just wondering because I have a similar
problem with my Dak, but mine reads low... I put on a set of underdriven
pullies, and my voltage was always low at idle. So, I put the alternator
pulley back on so that even though the accessories are being turned slower
by the crank pulley, at least the alternator isn't being underdriven even
more. However, my voltage is still often low (not as bad as before, but
sometimes it will drop quite low) (The voltage is great when I'm turning
more than 1,000 rpms or so... Also, it takes a second or two before the
truck will fire up when I'm cranking it in the morning. The battery did
die recently, and the dealer put it on a trickle charge while they were
working on another problem. I think I've had that battery for a couple
of years now. Could this just be time for a new battery?

                                              -Jon-

  | '96 Dodge Dakota V8, '96 Suzuki Intruder 1400, '96 Kolb FireFly 447 |