Re: Cold Vs. Warm Air

From: nosdakota (nosdakota@email.msn.com)
Date: Mon Nov 08 1999 - 17:23:31 EST

Well I'll try to be short winded here. There are benefits to both. The
benefit of warm air is mainly for economy, As we all know as we place
energy(heat) into something the molecules respond by rapidly bouncing off
each other making the peice of matter expand ever so slightly, which in turn
causes there to be more space between the molecules. When there is more
space between the molecules the air and fuel mix more completly and of
course burn cleaner. This is why Ferd has a water jacket in their intake on
the 5.0 motors, to help with emissions.
Now for more power the trick is to pack as much air as you can into the
cylinders, and the easiest way to do that without making the passages bigger
or pressurizing the system is to make the air colder hence making less room
between the molecules so that you are cramming more molecules into the
motor. The engine will run a little leaner and have a slightly more rapid
combustion inside the cylinder causing more output.
Joe W.
87 Shelby Charger 13.9
98 Dakota 13.1