Re: Cold Vs. Warm Air

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Mon Nov 08 1999 - 20:01:28 EST

On Mon, 8 Nov 1999 TEDSDAKOTA@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 11/8/99 4:30:31 PM Pacific Standard Time,
> stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu writes:
>
> > Basically, your incoming air runs through a "radiator"
> > which is hanging out in the airstream somewhere
>
> Thanks Jon, I'm running a 6 psi SC and it did say in the instruction's an
> intercooler would add 15-20 HP. The problem I see is the Pipe between the
> blower and the TB is 3" dia, wouldn't the radiator also have to be this size
> so no loss accrued.

   Yep, I think you'd have to be careful about that. It seems to me
that any intercooler will restrict the incoming flow somewhat (unless you
get really crazy with the size), but the added power from the cooler air
probably offsets it... ? I've never seen an intercooler in real life;
just a couple of fuzzy pictures. I'd be interested to see exactly how
they differ from a radiator. (I'm guessing they're basically the same
but the "line" running through them is much larger.)

   I think some cars use dual intercoolers, which would allow them
the capability of twice the airflow. That may be a way to reduce some
of the restriction. (for 2x the price of course...)

                                              -Jon-

  | '96 Dodge Dakota V8, '96 Suzuki Intruder 1400, '96 Kolb FireFly 447 |