Recommended reading for those interested in auto theory/repair.

From: Dave Scelfo (macncheesemonster@hotmail.com)
Date: Mon Nov 08 1999 - 22:19:07 EST

DMlers,
     While this isnt a DAK specific post, I think its one that will be
beneficial to atleast somebody. I've been asked a few quesions offlist and
while I'm not the Yoda of car tech, I think I know a fair amount (maybe a
young Obi Wan) and I don't mind sharing with those who care.
     I'm posting this message in hopes to steer some of you in the right
direction. If you really want to learn about cars as a whole, I recommend
picking up a book called "How to Keep Your Volkswagen Alive, a step by step
guide for the compleat idiot" by John Muir. It really is the first "Idiot
book" (published in 1969) that seem to be so popular today. This book is
thoroughly entertaining and informative and the illustrations are fantastic.
  It has some old school lingo in it ("cat" = "dude") but I kinda like it.
Yeah, VW bugs have some unique technology in it but its still a fantastic
book. If you happen to see it next time your in that big 'ol book store in
the mall, check it out. At worst, it'll make you laugh.
     If you're interested in engines, I think the best thing you can do is
to get a book on small engine repair and pick yourself up an old lawnmower
or better yet, a go kart. This is the simplest and cheapest way to start
learning. I think Bernd will back me up on this one. Its a heck of a lot
easier to work on and your mistakes are cheaper to correct.

--
Dave