Re: max tire size for '93/snow tires

From: Jason Bleazard (jbleazard@home.com)
Date: Tue Nov 09 1999 - 21:25:58 EST

Remy Saville wrote:

> I've got got a 93 Dakota and I'd like to know what the biggest tire I
> can fit under it is without rubbing anything.

That's a matter of some controversy. Assuming you have a 4x4, the
answers are either 30x9.50 or 31x10.50. I've seen 31's on a '94. The
owner had to do a bit of fender trimming to get them to clear, but it
was pretty minimal.

> Also what to people recommend for an extreme snow tire? I was thinking
> the Super Swamper SSR for in the winter on my Dakota and then from
> spring to fall I'll put them on my Samurai for some real offroading.

I wouldn't think that Swampers would make good snow tires. Everything
I've read indicates that you need lots of siping in the tread blocks,
like a BFG all-terrain. The solid blocks of mud tires just slide across
the surface of snow. I've never tried it, this is all second-hand
information, so take it for what it's worth.

> (Can you belive my 87 Samurai was cheaper than a 4" lift KIT (only the
> kit!) for my Dakota!?)

Yes, yes I can. This fact is what causes me so much stress trying to
decide whether I want to lift my Dak.

Jason