Re: What are the BEST snow tires???

From: mrdancer (mrdancer@camalott.com)
Date: Wed Nov 10 1999 - 00:15:42 EST

Go to www.tirerack.com and read up on their snow tires. They have a special
section just for them. They have Firestone "WinterFire" snow tires for $51
(235/75/15). For a snow tire, you want a tall, narrow tire. Wide tires
will float over packed snow, whereas the narrower tire will put a deeper
bite into the snow. Also, I would avoid the high-mileage snow tires
(anything that's supposed to last over 40k miles) - I think the REAL snow
tires won't have any mileage listed because 1) you want SOFT rubber (that
doesn't last very long) that will stay soft and grippy in the cold, and 2)
depending on how much winter driving you do, the winter tires may dry rot
before you wear them out anyway.

If you're looking at all-season tires in lieu of winter tires, look for ones
that are only good for 40k or less, or better yet have no mileage listed -
also look for aggressive tread with lotsa siping. I'm speaking from 20+
years South Dakota winter experience - Hope this helps ;-)

--
'92 Dak CC 2wd 318 3.55
'84 GoldWing Interstate