Re: 96 Dak with Fan Clutch Problem

From: Borregodude@aol.com
Date: Wed Nov 10 1999 - 22:31:37 EST

I know what you mean, I hate the clutch on my 92 V8. replaced the clutch 3
times and still to loud. There are TSB that call for a different fan and
clutch, but the 350 bucks is out of the question. Been looking into 2
aftermarket fans, one to work as needed and one that comes on when you turn
on the A/C.......

Dennis
**********************
Hi everyone,

I have a 96 Dak 4x4 v8 that is having some real problems with the fan
clutch. About a month ago the original fan clutch started staying engaged
(getting the loud engine 'roar')for long periods of time (1 week or more.) I
talked with one of the local Dodge dealership's service guys and he said it
was most likely the fan clutch and told me the outrageous price of a new
one, then added to just go get an aftermarket one at the local Autozone (now
that's a first.) I picked up one from Autozone and had it installed. It
never has been quite the same as the original (when it was working
correctly.) It has always had a little more of a 'roar' than the original
and now it seems to be getting worse.

My question is, is this just another bad fan clutch or did this one become
damaged by some other problem? I read somewhere that when you replace the
fan clutch to replace the water pump also, as this sometimes is what causes
the fan clutch to die. Is this correct? How difficult is it to change the
water pump? Does the engine have to be out or can it be done in place? The
truck does have 75k miles on it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Brian B
96 Dodge Dakota SLT 4x4 CC 5.2l