Re: Burnouts????

From: Robert France (robert@srpl.com)
Date: Fri Nov 12 1999 - 20:08:08 EST

The ratio between the transmission top gear and the rear end is only an
intermediate number which affects drive-shaft speed and individual
component stress loading. Example: If you run a 4.10 rear end and a .85
overdrive, you end up with a 3.485 overall drive ratio, which is the same
as running a 1:1 top tranny gear with a 3.45 rear end. The difference here
is once again the transmissions input-to-output first gear torque
capabitily...if you want the same 1st gear overall drive ratio between the
two transmissions, you will have to make the non-overdrive transmisssion a
lot bigger internally to cope with the added internal stresses of the
greater torque throughput in its 1st gear, which will be higher than the
overdrive tranny's 1st gear, all things being equal, at a ratio equivalent
to the product of the gear-spread*overdrive-ratio. Then you get into the
driveshaft speed...when driving along at highway speed, the driveshaft in
the overdrive tranny vehicle will be unnecessarily overspeeding when
compared to the non-od tranny vehicle. As well, when a tranny is at a drive
ratio of 1:1, the input is locked to the output, which eliminates
high-stress loading on the counter shaft assembly. This would be top gear
in the non-od unit, but the od tranny will be passing all of the load
through the counter shaft assy, unnecessarily wearing everything out. As
well, as an added side benefit, the lower numerical ratio rear end used
with the non overdrive vehicle will always have more gear tooth area in
contact, reducing ring & pinion gear pressure stresses, also allowing
higher strength and longer service life.
Whats my point? In the real world, it makes little difference, but under
high-load conditions like...who cares! :P

RF