4.7L open element K&N

From: Barret, Matt (MATT_BARRET@earthtech.com)
Date: Tue Nov 16 1999 - 08:09:21 EST

All you 4.7 guys here's a nice K&N setup that really frees up some horses!
The open element K&N filter I came up with is one from a 1996 Chevy full
size pickup(4.6L, 5.0L, 5.7L) the reason I used this one is because it is
large ( 10" long by 6.5" in diameter). Its shape is a perfect cylinder, and
it has one 3" inlet hole in the butt end of it, the opposite end is capped
off by sheet metal. the part number is E-1796 (K&N). If you happen to go
into an Autozone they usually stock this one. Ok, on the 4.7L there is a
plastic air box called a "hat" that attaches directly to the throttle body,
really all this thing does is direct the air from the air filter box into
the TB. The hat is plastic and is connected to the Filter Box by a rubber
corrugated hose (3"), the corrugated hose will stretch and compress like an
accordion, in its stock setup the hose is stretched out. What I did was
remove the complete filter box from the truck leaving the air hat and this
rubber hose . I then cut a piece of PVC pipe 3" in diameter and approx. 4
inches long. I used this to connect the K&N filter to the rubber hose
leading to the air hat. The K&N filter has a rubber 3" inlet that is
supplied with a hose clamp. I inserted the PVC pipe into the filter about 2"
and clamped it down tight. then I took the filter with this PVC pipe hanging
out and inserted that into the end of the rubber hose and tightened that
clamp down. I had to compress the hose all the way to get the filter to tuck
inside of the engine compartment. Now the tricky part, The original filter
box had a nipple made into it to connect a breather hose to it. now that I
had removed the filter box it had no where to go. So what I did was take the
air hat off the truck and drill a 1" diameter hole in the side of the hat, I
purchase the 1 inch hole saw drill bit from Home Depot for 5 bucks, it fit
in a 3/8 drill, just make sure you blow all the plastic shavings out of the
hat with an air compressor!!. I then inserted a rubber grommet from Autozone
into the hole. Then I inserted a 5/8" inch plastic fitting into that
grommet, leaving a 5/8" end of that fitting hanging out of the grommet. I
had to come up with a pre-formed hose that had a 180 degree bend in it in
order to reroute the factory breather hose to this new location. I went
behind the counter at Autozone and searched for something that would work, I
found a hose that was perfect, part number 4375. That's it, she works great,
sounds great, and increases power noticeably! I picked up .23 sec. at the
strip(14.9) and 3.5 mph. I hope to get some pictures of this setup , and
scan them in and send out to everyone who is interested!! Sorry for the
long post. Matt