Re: towing

From: Chad Clifton (mcc@negia.net)
Date: Wed Nov 17 1999 - 10:59:40 EST

I have a '95 Dak Club Cab Sport 5pd with the 3.9L V6. First, I put on a
receiver hitch, which you already have. I then proceeded to pull what
was later determined to be 4000 plus pounds (car and trailer) with no
problem at all. The v6 had way more power than I even needed. I was
extremely surprised and delighted and how little work it was for the
truck. I had no problems braking. I have, however, pulled hundreds of
trailers throughout my short life and know 'how' to stop a trailer. When
I say that, I basically mean looking ahead and preparing for the worst.
If you need to stop on a dime, then get a trailer with brakes, else, be
careful and plan ahead. You are however, dealing with alot more weight.
Your truck weighs more have a 318 and the trailer and car will be over
6000lbs. Trailer brakes would be the safest way, especially if you have
to do any mountain driving, or have alot of downhill stops.

(once pulled a 14000lb trailer with a 3500 Ram dually and the trailer
didn't have brakes... needless to say, stupid move, I'll never do it
again, but the truck did stop... barely. had a few close calls.. scary
situation.)

This past weekend when I pulled the trailer, I did have to stop pretty
quick once and could definitely tell I had 4000lbs behind me. The Dak
stopped it pretty well, but the pads on the truck were "made for towing"
and cost $40 for one set.

Chad Clifton