Re: Re: Re: RE: Is 30x10.5x15'sTOO BIG!!!

From: Walter Felix (walt_felix@hotmail.com)
Date: Sun Nov 21 1999 - 16:17:05 EST

I agree a 30" tire isn't exactly 30 inches tall. What I was saying is a 2wd
sits 3-4 inches lower than a 4x4 due to design of the suspension (coil
springs in the front and placement of the rear axle above the springs vs
below). There are other factors beside tire diameter that dictate if a tire
is going to fit. You also have to take into consideration tire width,
suspension height, suspension travel and rim backspacing.

I have an 88 4x4 with a 3" body lift, cranked torsion bars and add a leafs
in the rear. My truck has a little over 4.5" of total lift over stock.
With 31" tires, I slightly rub the front fenders under full lock,
compressed. I admit that I probably wouldn't have a rubbing problem if I
used rims with more backspacing and granted a 97+ Dakota has wider wheel
wells, but I'm not convinced a stock height 2wd is going to fit 30"s with
out some rubbing. Yes, you can buy a 97+ 4x4 with 31" tires but that 4x4
sits 3-4 inches taller than a stock 2wd and has different rims. 31" tires
were part of a package that included wider rims with different backspacing.
A 30" is likely to rub either on the frame with his stock rims or on the
fenders with offset rims.

Walt Felix
88½ Dakota Sport 4x4 and 2000 Ram 1500 QuadCab Sport 4x4
Walt@Walt-n-Ingrid.COM
http://WWW.Walt-n-Ingrid.COM