Larger Oil Filter: Fram bites...

From: Pedro J. Diaz (pjdmd@mho.net)
Date: Wed Nov 24 1999 - 00:03:30 EST

When you think about what actually damages your engine from use is lack
of proper lubrication. That is why I am a passionate believer in using
Synthetic oil. Well the best oil will be only an expensive carrying
agent for the sand paper like effect from metal particles if you have an
inferior filter. If you do anything to your truck that will make it last
the longest is using synthetic lubricant with a good oil filter. I
personally use an the Mobil 1 filter, or the K & N filter ( same
manufacturer) for all my cars except the Dakota.

As far as your question for filter size, it is to increase the area of
filter media available to do the job. It is like having a larger
radiator.

Here's how I made my decision.

http://members.xoom.com/minimopar/oilfilterstudy.html

here's an older site. It is a good reference to compare the micron size
of the particulate that they will stop.

 http://www.mr2.com/TEXT/oil_filter_test.html

here's an article that will answer your FAQ's about filtration.

 http://www.harddriver.com/harddriver/techdata/hotrod1a.html

I personally believe in using an oil bypass system. this is the one I
went with for my Dak
 http://www.oilguard.com/index.html

Pedro J Diaz.