Turbochargers on Daks. Was: Re: RE:discrimination against low trucks?!!!

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Wed Nov 24 1999 - 00:03:01 EST

On Sun, 21 Nov 1999, SmokinDakota wrote:

> I've got about 500 miles left on the warranty. After that the Twin Turbo
> will hopefully be going in early next year. I have meet most of the service
> guys, but not under the best conditions. Most of the service guys aren't
> into heavy modifications. It kinda scares me when I see some of them driving
> the competition. They have started to get my trust back, but it will take a
> lot more to regain it fully.
>
> How much hp can the V6 manual tranny hold? Will I have to upgrade with a
> single turbo setup?

   Any idea what sort of turbo you'll be using? Are you going to fab
it up yourself, or take it to a shop? I'd like to do a twin turbo
setup on my Dak, but I haven't been able to figure out how to make it
a simple bolt-on yet. (I was hoping to be able to just stick the
turbos on the ends of the exhaust manifolds and have a shorter Y
pipe made up, but there just isn't any room down there! :-( A
buddy of mine just got a magazine about turbos in Mustangs (I'm thinking
of picking it up, just for the tech info) and as we were glancing through
it, they all seemed to have custom headers, and you should see some
of the strange bends and turns the pipes have to do to run to turbos,
intercoolers, etc! I'd really like to do twin turbos to reduce the
lag, but that takes up twice the room. I probably aught to just do it
right and have some headers made.

   I don't really want to think about what it will cost to have a shop
make me a set of custom headers. :-( I do plan to get a MIG welder
one of these days, but I'd still need a tubing bender. (Well, maybe
I can get a shop to bend up the pipes.) My problem also is that
I don't know a whole lot about the theory of designing headers, so
they won't be much more than tubes to get the exhaust to run through
the turbos... Maybe it doesn't matter quite so much on forced induction
engines though. ?

   Anyway, keep us updated on your progress! :-) Based on some earlier
DML discussions, and particularly from the input of Shaun H., I'm leaning
toward the Garret VNT units.

                                              -Jon-

  | '96 Dodge Dakota V8, '96 Suzuki Intruder 1400, '96 Kolb FireFly 447 |