Re: Ignition choices?

From: Kyle Kozubal (grndak4x4@home.com)
Date: Wed Nov 24 1999 - 01:43:38 EST

> I'm in the market for a new ignition setup. I've decided on the MSD-6A
> ignition control so far. It seems everyone has had good luck with them. My
> questions are: Do I need to also get a new coil? What wires have seemed to
> work the best? (Taylor, Magnecor, Splitfire, etc.) What dist. cap should I
> get (if any)? And finally, what plugs are the best?

Trever,
I am running MSD's 6-Offroad Ignition, which is completely sealed; water and
vibration resistant. As far as the coil goes, I am using Accel's Super
Coil(140021) which was really designed for Dodge trucks. I just simply had
the unbolt the stock coil, and bolt up the Accel coil; it used the same
mounting location and mounting holes, as well as the factory coil wiring
harness and connector. It is a true bolt on coil. I use Borg Warner Select
Brass Cap and Rotor, but be sure to check/replace the cap/rotor every
7500-10,000 miles, the MSD kind of eats these up. No biggie though, it is a
simple 10 minute cap/rotor job. Stay away from Champion Truck Plugs, plain
and simple. I ran these plugs for 10,000 miles and they seemed to be ok at
first, but after I took them out, they were shot and back they went! I am
now using Autolite Copper Plugs gapped at .050(remember to open your plug
gap up with MSD boxes) and these Autolite plugs are so much better!! As far
as the wires go, I use MSD's 8.5MM Super Conductor Wires and love them. Be
sure to use plenty of dielectric grease also! Hope this helps.
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6