RE: Tow hooks???

From: John Neff (jndneff@texas.net)
Date: Mon Nov 29 1999 - 11:36:48 EST

I installed the Mopar hooks on my 98 about 7 months ago. No drilling is
required. You may need to trim the lower splash guard a little, but that is
all. The hardest part is removing the stock bumper mounts. I found a very
easy way to knock them out. Place a 1X2 between the frame and the radiator,
then place the female end of a 1/2" socket extension over the exposed stud.
One strong whack with either a heavy mallet or hammer and the stud is out.
The other part that may drive you around for a while is the mounting bolts
included. In my kit and at least one other DML's kit the wrong nuts were
included with 2 of the bolts. A quick trip to the bolt store had them
replaced.

BTW, good luck finding anything else that will fit the 97+ Daks. There
aren't any good places to attach the hooks too without major surgery to the
front of your truck. They are also rated at 5000 lbs. each hook. That means
you can literally hang your truck by either one of the hooks.

John
98 Dak 4X4 CC Sport, 5.2L, Auto, Mopar headers, F&B TB, DDBC, DML sticker.

<snip>
Has anyone installed any tow hooks on their Daks yet?
I heard from one of the Ram guys that the ones available from the dealer are
expensive (like $130-$200 US) and you have to drill through the frame, and
put holes through the front bumper molding to install them. I was looking
for something a little simpler to install but i'm not sure there another
option?
But i also saw a product that you slip into the receiving hitch, and
basically it's a big metal loop. But is this option as bolting tow hooks to
the frame?
<unsnip>