Re: Re: fuel economy

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Tue Nov 30 1999 - 16:30:00 EST

At 10:27 AM 11/30/99 -0800, you wrote:
>I'd say its probably getting close to two years now since my last tune
>up, but I've changed the air filter since then. I checked my plugs
>myself and they looked like my Haynes manual said would be alright (I'm
>pretty green when it comes to mechanics so I could be wrong).

I'd suggest that you check the plugs, plug wires, distributor cap, rotor,
and air filter, at a minimum, in the fall just before winter and in the
spring just before summer. Check your tire pressure once a month
after the truck has been sitting overnight.

>What are people's thoughts on K&N filters or Jacobs ignition packs for
>the sole purpose of increased fuel economy.

My personal opinion is that the K&N dropin is a good idea in the long
run (reusable) and that economy gains from aftermarket ignition systems
are so minimal that they are not worth the cost. A well-maintained
stock ignition system is quite adequate for normal driving habits.

>Do different really plugs matter? I'm mostly talking about fancy $10
>per plug triple-ultra-platinum-dual split etc vs standard ones?

A set of normal plugs, cleaned and properly gapped, will do. For economy,
you could gap them .005 over the factory recommended gap spec. Normal
Autolites seem to be a bit better than others. They have this reputation
going back to the muscle car days ... don't know why.

>Does somebody have FAQ on their web page about these things? I've
>really got too many questions, and I'm kind of embarassed about asking
>them all :)

Just ask ... that's what this list is about. That's how I learn
about a lot of things.

>What does an electric fan and underdrive crank pulley do, and what are
>their prices?

Accessories and other mechanical parts are driven by various pulleys
connected by a serpentine belt with the crank pulley driving the other
pulleys. This puts a drag on the engine's power so that some energy to
the rear is now being used to drive the pulleys. Electric fans are run
off the electrical system and do not need a pulley. Underdrive
pulleys take less power out of the system than stock pulleys.
Others will probably give their pros/cons.

>What tire pressure should I go for? I've been running about 30lbs.

I run my tires at the pressure posted on the truck post (35) and do periodic
checking to see that the wear is even across the tread width ... also
rotate the tires according to the tire manufacturer's recommendation.

>How about when I encounter snow? I've never really driven in snow, this
>will be my first winter really in it. What tire pressure then?

I run on 4 snow tires with their own rims and use the same tire pressure.

Hope this helps.

Bob. Southern Ontario, Canada.
'97 Dakota CC Sport, FR, 5.2L, 3.55 SG, auto.