Re: Off-road Equipment

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Thu Dec 02 1999 - 17:17:20 EST

At 12:53 PM 12/2/99 PST, you wrote:
>A question to all the 4x4 folks:
>What do you keep your tow ropes, chains etc in when you go out in
>search of deep mud? I was thinking about getting a small toolbox
>that sits behind the wheel well flush with the side of the box, and
>no higher than the top edge. My plan is to get a fiberglass tonneau,
>so the little toolbox can't be higher than the top rail. I've seen
>something like what i've mentioned but it fit in front of the wheel
>well rather than behind it. I'd prefer the toolbox to be behind the
>well since that's closer to the back of the truck where i'll be hitching
>to anyway.

Frank

I don't have a 4x4 but I used those plastic fold-up crates (one on each
side at the tailgate) and use an adjustable bed bar to keep them from
sliding forward.

I use one crate to hold all the tools that I need at the track. The
other holds jugs of fluids, bottles of oil, paper towels, clothes,
bungee cords (well not now ... but that's another story), etc.

Probably can get the bed bar and crates from Canadian Tire. You might
be even to colour-key the crates to match your truck.

What I not sure of is whether the plastic crates are sturdy enough for
recovery equipment.

Bob. Southern Ontario, Canada.
'97 Dakota CC Sport, FR, 5.2L, 3.55 SG, auto.