Re: Vortech or Paxton

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Thu Dec 02 1999 - 22:54:38 EST

On Thu, 2 Dec 1999 NVMYDakota@aol.com wrote:

> Theoredically Speaking,
> In my 1993 Regular Cab, Short Bed 318 Dakota 2wd Automatic, How much of a
> boost (not PSi) would these SC's add, I am jsut wondering if they would
> actually be worth the money. I mean they look damn cool under the hood, But
> Truckin's Project Dakota had one, and the MagnumR/T engine package, and it
> could onyl run a mid 14 1/4, I am guessing My tonneu adds about as much adn
> there extended cab, reguardless of that, 14 seconds WITH a
> SUPERCHARGER????????
> Am I the only one that thinks that is slow????
> Greg

    I don't know about the Paxton, but a few years back, I saw a little
blurb about the Vortech being available for Magnum 318s and 360s in
one of the truck magazines, and according to that article, it added
80hp to the 318. That was back before the S-trim models though, so it
might be more now.

    Mid 14's out of a breathed-on Dak does seem a bit slow. My '96
club cab runs mid 14s naturally aspirated with no engine work, just
bolt-ons. It ran 16.0 stock. I figure I've added about 50hp, so
a Vortech making 80hp on a stock truck just like mine should be low
14's at least, I would think. There's a short bed Gen II Dak that
runs at NYIRP that has a 318, headers, Vortech, and the R/T cam too
I think that runs 13.2's or so.

  Oops, I just re-read your post; I didn't notice that it had the
Magnum R/T package too. If its got all that AND a blower and only
runs mid 14's, that's molassas slow!! Either they can't drive, or
they've got major problems. Or maybe they ran the thing at about
20,000 feet. ;-) IMHO, they should be running low 13's, at least.

                                              -Jon-

  | '96 Dodge Dakota V8, '96 Suzuki Intruder 1400, '96 Kolb FireFly 447 |