Re: Re: truck on the sellin block

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Sun Dec 05 1999 - 15:56:11 EST

On Sun, 5 Dec 1999 SS454454@aol.com wrote:
> In a message dated 12/05/1999 3:08:20 AM !!!First Boot!!!,
> Jpm699@email.msn.com writes:
>
> << Though with all those mods you should be able to get more than blue book
> from a private party.
>
> Jason
> >>

> Niot necessarily. sometimes a modified vehicle tends to make people weary of
> purchasing. some want them but i look at it like tis. There was a reason why
> when a truck was traded in and it had aftermarket stuff on it it was taken
> out and dumped. ( alarms, motor bolt on mods, bumpers winches.) some dealers
> didt take stuff off but they added it on to the selling price. The bad thing
> was when you traded it in they didnt want to give you anything for the mods.
> Some dealers like to sell stock vehicles. Believe it or not a stock vehicle
> will sell faster than a modified one
> Rob

   Yep, I absolutely believe it! Personally, I would much prefer a stock
vehicle over a modded one. I guess I sort've figure that with a modded
vehicle, you know that owner probably "gets on it" quite a bit, and it
would seem that a modded vehicle would have more wear just from that
alone. Plus, when you don't do the mods yourself, you can't really be sure
of their quality, or how well they were installed. (i.e. did the guy
port his throttle body while it was still on the truck?) ;-) I'd prefer
to get the cliche'd "little old lady" vehicle, and mod it myself, even if
it means spending more money in the long run. Granted, there are exceptions;
you do want to get a vehicle that has been owned by a competent
individual, or at least someone who took it in for all scheduled maintenance
and oil changes. Incompetence can wear out a vehicle MUCH faster than than
weekly dragstrip use by someone who knows what they're doing...

  Unless I know the owner and/or the truck's history though, given a choice,
I'll take the stock vehicle most every time!

                                              -Jon-

  | '96 Dodge Dakota V8, '96 Suzuki Intruder 1400, '96 Kolb FireFly 447 |