Re: -------->lowering opinions

From: nosdakota (nosdakota@email.msn.com)
Date: Tue Dec 07 1999 - 07:57:08 EST

We torqued the H*** out of the
> ubolts so
> that wasn't the problem.
I use an IR impact gun then I throw my torque wrench on there to finish the
job. Even with the gun turned all the way up it still only takes it to 190
or so. Impact guns don't work well on bolts that long due to the flex in the
bolt, You need to put a old fasioned wrench on there after the impact gun.
Please try it before you say I'm nuts because I didn't believe it either.

 What the real culprit is is the strength of the
> connection when
> using tall blocks. Think about going in a real tight circle......lets
> say...1 g cornering.
> This cornering force produces a lot of torque on the connection between
the
> leaf spring
> and the axle. When you move the axle farther away from leaf, you INCREASE
> the torque
> this connection sees. We use 1" blocks made of steel as our standard
design
> criteria
> to minimize this force.
TRue there is alot of force there but I've never experienced any major
deflection even with big blocks

> >I'm running slicks and
> >launching with juice and have done it with 3" blocks.
>
> axle torque loads the block along its axis, thus works for drag strip
> applications okay.
> Cornering loads the block in the weak direction
Any one that has seen me drive or been in the car with me will tell you I
take turns like an animal. I didn't lower my truck for the looks I lowered
it for handling. I used that example because I don't have a G-tech to give
exact figures on how much sideways force I'm exerting on the truck

.
 but the best cure is
> an air-bag assist
> for the leaf spring.

That's my next project for the suspension.
Joe W.
87 Shelby Charger 13.9
98 Dakota 13.1