Re: Water in Oil

From: Shaun.Hendricks@bergenbrunswig.com
Date: Tue Dec 07 1999 - 20:04:00 EST

First off, you are assuming its condensation, not a wise assumption. I
question the condensation angle as how does the water vapor get in there in
the first place? Your breather system is made to re-burn any oil vapors and
upon cooling it should not be pulling moist air back into the engine. If it
is, I have a huge problem with that. If it's not, and let's say for arguments
sake, that there is an engineering failure with the engine (very possible,
it's a brand new motor, first time ever used). Let's say there's a minor
warpage of the heads that develops, or a small channel in the sleeve that if
put in a certain way connects with a water channel. Or a new style gasket
isn't fully sealing. Small amounts of water could seep into the system. The
description was GREEN scum which sounds to me like anti-freeze, not
condensation. So I wouldn't be so cavalier about the problem. When I buy a
new car, I don't want a single drop of water in my oil. If there is, I want
another engine or car. This is a sign of future problems waiting to happen.
But hey, it's your money, you can deal with it as you please.

As little as a teaspoon of water in your oil can cause your oil to fail in
it's primary job of lubrication. You also have rust issues, problems with
viscosity, and it breaks down the oil very rapidly. It also has a tendency to
foam the oil, or form "scum" layers that can clog ports and oil flow. Just
wait until you burn a valve, score a cylinder wall, spin a main bearing or
have some other major failure of the motor. It may not happen immediately,
but in a persisting condition, I WILL guarantee failure of the motor. It
doesn't take gallons. If I ever found water in my oil, I'd change the oil
immediately and run the engine for a while. I'd drain the oil and look at it
in a large glass container. If I still saw water in it, the engine gets
ripped apart to find the leak in the system. If there was no water then I
would consider the condition to be a condensation or one-time only problem.
Just to be sure I'd check the oil again after about 200-500 miles to make sure
no water is back. Of course, my dak isn't brand new, but then again, I don't
have water in my oil.

Overall, I guess I'm a hyper alarmist and this is just a minor condition that
seems to be a nuisance.... or maybe not, your choice.

Shaun H.