Building my 5.2 for towing torque.

From: Jetmugg@aol.com
Date: Thu Dec 09 1999 - 21:59:07 EST

My '92 CC has just rolled 130,000, and although it's still going strong, and
the internals are "stock as a rock", (the valve covers have never been off),
I find myself daydreaming about it's eventual rebuild, and how to optimize
the engine for more usable bottom end torque, especially for towing my boat
trailer. The only current performance "modifications" are an Edelbrock air
cleaner, and a Gibson 3" cat-back exhaust. The original Gibson muffler went
south, and was replaced with a 3" regular glasspack.

My ideas for the rebuild/upgrade are to bolt on a re-worked TB, 180 T-stat,
figure out which cam gives the best power around 2000 rpm and install one,
possibly headers and ratio rockers (if they will help build low-end power),
and a few other tidbits like a cold air intake system, and an auxiliary
electric fan installed as a pusher in front of the A/C condenser (for those
hot summer days).

Any other ideas, and has anyone built their 5.2 to optimize the lower rpm
(2000-3000) power, while still remaining mostly "stock"?

Steve M.