RE: V-8 5-spd in V-6!

From: Gary Pinkley (gapinkley@earthlink.net)
Date: Fri Dec 10 1999 - 00:54:42 EST

My truck's out of warranty by about 5000 miles, so no dice on the warranty
coverage.

I got everything installed tonight, except for the driveshaft, I am getting
one made
tommorrow. You could probably buy a V-8 driveshaft and just plug it in. If
it wasn't
for the modifications I had to make to Back-Date the trans so the speed
sensor
will work, I'd classify this swap as Easy! The hardest part is
having a machine shop drill your flywheel for the V-8 pressure plate,
everything
else bolts up just fine, the shifter ends up in the exact same spot as the
original.
The factory stick even still works, and the crossmember doesn't need any
modification. At first glance, the clutch system should work fine as well,
everything
bolts up just fine and seems to work, I won't know for sure till I get the
truck back
on the road.

I did this as more of a 'I know I'll break the V-6 box again' so I though
I'd fix the
problem. The AX-15 doesn't like quick drag shifts so I end up crunching the
gears a lot. Someday I want to add supercharger so the V-8 box will work
better. Also the V-8 has a stiffer 1st gear and a slightly higher OD as
well.

Original Messages: