Re: Twin Turbo 6er?

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Sat Dec 11 1999 - 03:56:42 EST

On Sat, 11 Dec 1999, Jon Smith wrote:

> buy my truck for a test mule :-)

  Glad to. How's $2K sound? :-)

> what's to a turbo? bolt up to the 3
> bolt header flange? seems to me that'd be a universal application just
> about. save for the turbine-intake routing, which isn't terribly
> complicated....

   I don't yet know enough about their intracacies to determine exactly
what might be involved, but from what I've seen so far, I agree; it doesn't
seem terribly complicated. It would be pretty cool if you actually could
bolt it up to the header flange, but I think that's going to turn out to
be almost impossible. There's barely enough room there to tighten up
the flange bolts, much less stick in a big ol' turbo. Most of the V8
turbo installs I've seen use little "shorty" headers that just dump
right into the turbo, which is mounted at the sides of the engine. I
think the T4 is around 8-9" by 7-8", and of course, you need clearance
for the intake tubing/filter and the compressor output tubing, bypass and
wastegate plumbing, as well as oil lines and possibly water lines as well.

                                              -Jon-

  | '96 Dodge Dakota V8, '96 Suzuki Intruder 1400, '96 Kolb FireFly 447 |