Re: Re: 4.7 Owners Please Check this

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Sat Dec 11 1999 - 18:58:56 EST

On Sat, 11 Dec 1999 BoogYT1300@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 12/11/99 7:31:23 AM Pacific Standard Time, rap777@juno.com
> writes:
>
> << Sounds reasonable *if* the filler tube is the problem. However, since you
> are able to see the problem with the filler tube, if you remove the tube
> and the problem still exists (because something else is the culprit), you
> may think the problem is resolved and not realize it still exists until
> you (personally, not Jiffy Loob), change the oil. Not trying to whiz on
> your cheerios, just trying to think along with you on this.
> >>
> I always have changed my own oil. I'm lazy, but I am more of a cheapskate
> than I am lazy.
> Yeah is this gonna solve the problem or is it just "out of sight out of
> mind". Good point. I wonder if the 239/318's do this too, we just dont see
> it. There is a nice shield over the rockers in the valve cover. I never saw
> any gunk inside of the caps on my 92. Hmmm.
> One of the guys on the XJ list insulated his and the problem is not as bad.
> I'll find out more monday.
> ttyl
> Boog

     Sounds like it might not be a bad idea to spend the 20 bones for an
oil analysis. If there's a problem, that should spot it. I've had good
results from Blackstone Labs (www.blackstone-labs.com). They'll send
you a free bottle, you fill it up and send it back with a check for
$18.50, and they mail you the report a few days later.

  One of the tests they do is water in the oil. For a sample report,
you can check out the one I scanned in at:

stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu/oilreport2.jpg">http://www.cs.fredonia.edu/~stei0302/www/dakota/attachments/stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu/oilreport2.jpg

  (If the link above doesn't work, go to the DML home page, attachments, then
stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu, then oilreport2.jpg)

                                              -Jon-

  | '96 Dodge Dakota V8, '96 Suzuki Intruder 1400, '96 Kolb FireFly 447 |