Re: V8 Timing Chain Replacement Question

From: BoogYT1300@aol.com
Date: Thu Dec 16 1999 - 06:20:12 EST

In a message dated 12/15/99 1:39:19 PM Pacific Standard Time,
Rich.Wisotzkey@gd-wts.com writes:

<< 've seen a lot of post from people replacing the timing chain and gears on
 the V6's. The question I have is for the V8 owners. How many of you have
 had to replace your timing sets. I don't recall hearing too many people
 with V8's replacing them from wear. I have just over 50Kmi on my 318, and
 it doesn't make any noise. I'm tearing down the engine and figure if it
 something that is going to cause trouble in the near future, I would rather
 do it now than later. If not, running the stock one does not bother me.
 Thanks for the feedback.
 Rich - Ashburn, VA

Rich, you may want to do it anyway. At least check the tension of the chain
and if the gears are teflon coated (rumor is that dodge still does it) then
you may want to change them. My 92 has about 80k and when I sold it it had no
problem. It ran 14 deg at idle.
hope this helps
Paul