Re: Autolite Plugs, Special Attn: Bob Tom

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Fri Dec 17 1999 - 20:14:43 EST

At 06:48 PM 12/17/99 -0500, you wrote:
>Has anyone actually tried the Autolite 5224 plugs yet? I remember Bob
>having a reply on these several weeks ago. Supposedly, the center electrode
>was designed larger for a heavier truck. I purchased a set of these today.
>After comparing them to either the stock Champions, or the Champion Truck
>Plugs, they are very close to 1/8" longer. This additional length is all in
>the electrode area. I want to make sure there is sufficient clearance
>before installing them. I don't really need new pistons just yet.
>Rich

The owner of the auto supply store that I bought the Autolite 3923 plugs
from looked up the Autolites for me in his books.

He found that the book recommended the Autolite 5224 (normal heat range)
for the Magnum 318. The book listed the 392x series for the Magnum 360
with the 3924 (normal), 3923 (1 range colder) and 3922 (2 ranges colder.

I chose the 3923 mainly for track reasons and am still running them now.
I debated whether to get a set of the 5224 because I've got to do the
clean air test soon but recently decided to stick with the 3923 since they
are not fouling up even in this cold weather and with the little driving that
I'm now doing, and I also doubt that they would have any affect on the test.

The only thing that I can suggest is that you double check with whoever
you bought the plugs from and have them look at their books. Hope this helps.

Bob