Nasty way of stealing our trucks? (and, my continuing foglight saga)

From: Andy Levy (andylevy@bigfoot.com)
Date: Fri Dec 17 1999 - 21:17:29 EST

Is it true that there are people reading VINs off cars, going to a
dealer or locksmith and saying "I lost my keys, here's my VIN, cut me a
new set?" then coming back and stealing cars?

As if I needed to be MORE paranoid about where I park.

If this is true, what can I do (alarm isn't an option for a few
months)? I'd put duct tape over my VIN and the barcode, but the
oh-so-thoughtful state of New York puts your VIN right on the
registration sticker - and I can't exactly tamper with or hide that.

On the foglight front: Wasted 45 minutes at the dealer (Fayetteville
Dodge in Fayetteville, NY) Thursday with the foglights. They looked at
the truck, learned what I had already told them (broken switch), then
told me that surprise! they didn't have any replacements in stock. But
they'll send me a postcard when it comes in, so that I can go back and
waste another hour when they get the part. I'll pass, thanks very
much. I called up the 5-Star dealer in Syracuse (Sam Dell), they
couldn't get me in till Wednesday - and couldn't quote a time (even the
non-5-Star set up a time), just wanted me to drop it off in the
morning. Fergit that - didn't even talk to the parts dept. to see if
they had the stupid thing. Had my father call DeNooyer Dodge in Albany
(where I got the Dak), made sure they have the switch, and got me an
appointment for next Thursday at 9AM since I'll be home for the holiday
weekend anyway.

This is an awful lot of work to get a badly-designed part fixed.

Totally unrelated: anyone had a truck they ordered get cancelled b/c it
failed final inspection? My father's Durango got sent to the scrapheap
after it failed, they have to build a new one for him, gonna take FOUR
weeks, compared to 1 for the first build.

--
-andy

http://home.twcny.rr.com/andylevy/ --- andylevy@bigfoot.com ---------------------------------------------------------------- Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic. ----------------------------------------------------------------