Re: Nasty way of stealing our trucks? (and, my continuing foglight saga)

From: Preacher (preacher@carolina.rr.com)
Date: Sat Dec 18 1999 - 08:39:45 EST

From: Andy Levy <andylevy@bigfoot.com>
> Is it true that there are people reading VINs off cars, going to a
> dealer or locksmith and saying "I lost my keys, here's my VIN, cut me a
> new set?" then coming back and stealing cars?

As a liscensed locksmith for 17 years (My Dad owns two locksmith businesses
in Cali and I have worked for him on and off since I was 12)
This can be done. HOWEVER. NO reputable locksmith would do this for you
without proof of ownership. Another safety is that the code books and
equipment to do this are VERY expensive and the only way to get them is to
be a liscense locksmith, LEO or reposession agent.
Possible, not probable.

Preacher
http://www.bastaards.org
http://www.onelist.com/community/BASTAARDS