Pitman Arm 101/Front end

From: Kyle Kozubal (grndak4x4@home.com)
Date: Sun Dec 19 1999 - 19:50:47 EST

Can anyone tell me how to check to see if a pitman arm is bad/going bad?
What acutally is the part of the pitman arm which gets worn? I am assuming
there is some type of rubber on the arm ends which wears just, is that it
though? I looked in my Haynes manual concerning removal and installation,
and it seems fairly easy. Can anyone recommend/explain their method of
removal installation? I replaced my idler arm one year ago(90,000 miles),
and slowly want to start replacing all the front end steering components
over the next 2-3 months. I know the up/down tire wiggle test for the ball
joints and the side-to-side tire wiggle test for the tie rods; slight
play/slop is starting to begin. I would do it in this order: Pitman arm(if
needed), left/right's side inner/out tie rod ends, left/right side upper and
lower ball joints. Thanks for any input.....
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6; 115,500 miles