RE: Re[2]: terraserver

From: The Man From Utopia (tmfu@home.com)
Date: Mon Dec 20 1999 - 20:51:40 EST

> > > If you really want to get pissed off at something, ask
> yourself why the
> > > government/military is so concerned about U.S. citizens
> flying over places
> > > like Area 51, while Russian and Chinese spy satellites
> routinely fly over
> > > and photograph the area.
>
> >Because you're gonna see what those satellites see
> "nothing". All the stuff
> >is underground(do you really think that the military is
> gonna keep stuff
> >they don't want you to see in plain sight???).
>
> Well, they gotta bring those experimental planes out
> sometime...or are you telling me they fly them underground?

NO they don't fly them underground..gee...

> And, yes, satellites can see in the dark just fine, thank you very much.

REALLY? ;-)

> Take a look at an aeronautical chart
> of the area and you'll see how much bigger the restricted
> area is there than at other places. And don't even try to get close
enough
> by ground to be able to see the area. They go to ridiculous extremes to
> hide "nothing".

About just as large restricted area as Edwards AFB. Anyplace that test
"experimental" aircraft you have have a large "splat" area free of "other"
flying objects. Imagine the media mess if one of these "experimental"
happens to hit a civilian aircraft that is flying too close, or has a
malfunction of some sort and splatters into a populated area. Just my take
on it....

> >If memory serves me
> >correct all military bases are off limits for aircraft. No
> fly overs allowed
> >what so ever
>
> Bad news, your memory must be getting as bad as mine. :-( I
> live near a
> military airfield and often go down there to watch planes. Civilian
> aircraft overfly the field all day, just like they do at most
> civilian
> airfields. They call the tower first and are sometimes
> restricted as to
> altitude, but if the field is not busy, they fly right over
> the middle of
> the base (and they used to have nuclear weapons there).

I sit partially corrected. The key here they had tower clearance. But
certain bases are off-limits period(Groom Lake,Edwards AFB, Aberdeen Proving
Grounds,WhiteSands to name a few).

Greg
95 DSCC v6 5spd
Rahway NJ