Re: Dester's pictures

From: kwjohn@mindspring.com
Date: Wed Dec 22 1999 - 02:40:06 EST

It's possible. When the subs are moving, there is air being forced
in/around the voicecoil through the vented pole piece, so even though
they're running hot, the air cools them enough to keep going.

However, when you stop -suddenly- and they've been running with lotsa
current for an extended time, the airflow stop and the voicecoils bake.
Then, they expand due to heat, and wedge themselves into the voicecoil
gap. They sometimes won't UNWEDGE themselves because the glue for the
voicecoil former gets soft and gummy in the heat, allows the coil to
pull away from the former, and then cools and gets solid again in the
"wedged" position.

However, I've only seen this happen a couple of times. Once on a demo
vehicle that our audio shop worked on back in 1992, and in that case the
subs had done 7 hours of VERY loud booming pseudomusic. The other on a
system that had a single 45-watt amp running at 2 ohms, and playing so
far beyond the capacity of the amp that it was severely clipping (and
doing so for an extended time...) so the DC content of the signal was
unusually high. If you've taken that much time with the sub install,
you probably aren't underpowering the subs. :-)

Not sure that this helps solve the problem, because the only resolution
is to return the subs to the factory, and they can unmangle everything
and replace the voicecoil and former. Hope they're under warranty...

Kurt