Re: Have you driven a Ford lately??? You'll be glad you haven't after reading this!

From: blackdak (blackdak@twcny.rr.com)
Date: Wed Dec 22 1999 - 06:53:15 EST

I can vouch for this one, In addition to the new 2000 Dakota, we also have a
93 Ford Explorer. I had all 5 tires changed on it and the garage told me to
watch the spare tire holder, it was badly frayed. Yeah, no kidding, only one
little wire holding the spare tire up...the other 7 or 8 strands in the wire
cable were broke/rusted off. I went down to Ford, and being the nice guys
they are, let me have a new one for only $70+. The new one I covered from
top to bottom with wheel bearing grease, hopefully that will stop the
corrosion in the future. When I got the Dakota, i put on the spare tire lock
and also greased the very similar Dodge spare tire crank the same way. If
any of you guys or girls ride motorcycles like me, then this should scare
the crap out of you. Imagine driving behind some smoke spewing Ford and just
when you get used to driving on the manatory oil and trans. fluid
leakage....boom! the big 'ol spare tire hits the pavement in front of you.
Killed by a Ford...kind of sucks. If you live where they salt the roads...do
me a favor and check the spare tire holder on whatever you drive...the cable
will rot out right at the bottom where the cross piece is.

Thanks,
Gary