Re: 1990 V-6 conversion to Magnum V-6

From: Mike D. (miggitymike@juno.com)
Date: Wed Dec 22 1999 - 20:24:18 EST

>>I've never taken a real good look at a pre-mag Dakota, but I would say
the
swap wouldn't be that hard. It would just be expensive and time consuming
and
If i was going to attempt it, I would at least make it worthwhile and
swap in
an 8. Sure there's alot more electronics and sensors, but all of them are
on
the motor and tranny, with exception to the O2 sensor. If you replace the

motor, tranny, computer and wiring harness, I don't believe that the
actual
upgrade will be all that hard (as far as splicing and adapting is
concerned
anyway). But, I may be wrong :-><<<

Man, you make it seem so easy, maybe you can talk to some of the shops
around here and convince them to do some work for me =)

seriously, you raise a good point! The problem is, unless you find a
junked truck with all the stuff already on it, it's really hard. When you
order a longblock, it has nothing, so you have to order all the sensors
and shit seperately, and engine shops just don't wanna' mess with it....

>>Mopar performance sells tons of goodies for the pre-mag V6, If I were
you I'd
look into them. Pick up a catalog, I believe they have just about
everything
when it comes it 3.9's prior to 92<<<

They USED to... most of it has been discontinued.. dammit....
but no matter what you do, it takes A LOT of stuff to get a premag to run
with a magnum. I have MANY mods and still run 17's, where a magnum truck
with the same drivetrain configuration will run 16's with half the mods.
It's all because of the magnum heads. I really want to adapt magnum heads
to a premag 6er, but no one will do that either.... <sigh>

I don't get it, shops will put a Corvette Motor in a Pinto, but won't put
a magnum in a premag.... go figure...

-mike d.

---> Yorktown, Va.
miggitymike@juno.com
88 6er LE, lowered, modded, and painted =)

http://members.xoom.com/dakotaperf/index.html