Re: AC on while my heat is on?

From: Jetmugg@aol.com
Date: Mon Dec 27 1999 - 10:53:10 EST

In a message dated 12/25/1999 5:27:00 PM Eastern Standard Time, tmfu@home.com
writes:

<< yes ur ac pump stays on all the time to keep ur system
> pressurized.chrysler
> is the only company n the world that does this, there aint no
> fix but u could
> get a belt for his durango that has no ac (shorter belt) i am
> gonna be doin
> this in a few weeks my belt is worn i have ac its always on
> so i think illl
> just change the belt in the summer for ac and in winter have
> no ac and a few
> hp and mpg. father went to dealership thinkin somthin is
> wrong but it is a
> characteristic of chrysler >>

I firmly believe that this is not true. The system remains pressurized
because it is a closed loop system under pressure, not because the compressor
is running. The compressor does not run all the time. Check it yourself.
Raise the hood with the engine running, and have someone turn on the A/C.
The clutch will engage, and the compressor will turn. The same thing will
happen when the defroster is on. However, the commpressor does not run all
the time.