Re: ABS on front wheels? Opinions needed.

From: Frank Johnson (frankwjohnson@hotmail.com)
Date: Tue Dec 28 1999 - 22:01:56 EST

I agree that there should be a little switch to turn it off if need be, as
in the scenario you described with the "rumble strips". Also the system
does really suck when offroading. It's actually better to lock up the tires
in the mud (on flst land anyway, no downhills) because by locking them up
your tires push a pile of mud that actually increases friction and stops the
vehicle in a shorter distance.
But, i've only had my Dak about a month and a half, and since the weather
has gone bad, it's got me outta 3 situations that by the time that i
responded to the sliding, i would have been off the road, or in someone's
trunk. I have also practiced threshold braking, but ABS acts something like
1/60th of a second. I cannot hit-and-release the brakes that fast. And
that's the whole point, the computer (when it is acting properly) works much
better than the human body possibly can. But there always those situations
when we wish we could turn the system off.
Maybe they should have something that works like those traction control
buttons; when you start up the car/truck it's already on, but you can push a
button and turn it off. Actually just like OD on the Dak.
Just a thought that i guess i should write down and send off to DC, o well,

Frank WJ

i wish i had a switch to shut the abs off when i am offroading(useless on
washboard). now hear is a total opinion. i think abs is a bad idea. i
think it desensitizes the driver with regards to how they respond to the
road