Water Pump Squeeking

From: Robert Howe (robsdak@pacbell.net)
Date: Fri Jan 21 2000 - 02:57:52 EST

It seems that I have a bearing going out in the water pump of my 1995 V6.
(60,000 miles last week) I was curious how many of you had this part go out
on them in the past. What kind of prices you paid for replacement, and the
all incalculateable value of what kind of a hassle it was for you to replace
this part.

I've looked around on the web (carparts.com) and such, and have found water
pumps for the pre-mag engines running between 20 and 50. I'm completely sure
that this isn't the part that I need, and that I need one specifically for
the Magnum V6 engines. What have you guys seen prices from the dealer run.
The local Dodge dealer where I bought this truck, has been pretty good to me
in the past, but I haven't had the opportunity to give them a call. (Work
sucks)

 I also looked at the Haynes Repair Manual (Which over the last 4 months
I've developed a kind of love hate relationship with) and it doesn't SEEM to
be that big of a deal to get at. But the images, and the instructions really
suck because of the age difference between the pictures, and my engine, and
they have to give directions for 3 different engine configurations.
Anyway... I'd like any advice or suggestions that you'd have for the job.

I'm curious if you guys would reccomend a high flow type pump, or if the
stock one was fine. I'm planning on doing minor engine mods... intake and
exhaust.. in the next 18-24 months... and don't think that these would push
a stock water pump past it's operation capacity. But I'm curious if maybe
that would be a reccomended course of action anyway.

Also... should I replace the thermostat? I don't think these two things are
directly related... but I'm curious if the slight added cost would be worth
it.

Thanks in advance.

-Robert Howe
1995 Dak 4x4 V6