Re: Re: 4x4 front wheel bearings

From: Kyle Kozubal (grndak4x4@home.com)
Date: Sun Jan 23 2000 - 17:15:49 EST

> <<The bearings dont require periodic service like the front wheel bearings
> do on 2WD trucks>>

Tom,
The first time I went to do my front brakes I asked a Dodge Tech who used to
live down the street from me and who was a really good friend of the family
if it was necessary to inspect the front wheel bearings on my Dak when doing
the brakes. He asked me if it was 2WD? Of course I said nope, 4WD. He then
told me that the front wheel bearings should last for the life of my truck
with no maintenance required on them. He told me they were sealed front
bearing and since Daks use 'auto hubs' checking them wasnt needed since they
are sealed, unlike the bearing on manual 4WD hub trucks. He did stress
though to be sure to check and repack them if I did own a 2WD truck. I mean,
now at 117,000 miles, I dont have any problems which can be atrributed to
front bearing wear, like noises, squeaks, wheel slop/play, leaking grease,
or uneven or poor tire wear.
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6