Re: Adusting torsion bar suspension

From: Kyle Kozubal (grndak4x4@home.com)
Date: Sun Feb 27 2000 - 23:47:43 EST

> Hey folks, I was interested in raising my truck a little (not interested
in
> a lift kit), and found a few articles on adusting the torsion bars on
Daks.
> Unfortunately, I didn't find any how-to's. Has anyone here done this to
> their truck, and if so, how well does it work? How do you do it? Any
> related links would be greatly appreciated also!
>
> P.S. (totally unrelated to this post) I forget who posted all the "Blue"
> songs, but maybe you should go on Rock and Roll Jeapardy! You'd get
>rich!!!

Brett,
I have ABS on my 93 4x4 that I cranked up and I didnt have any problems with
the brakes once I cranked the t bars up, just an area some people freak out
about. I did only crank mine up one inch, but i do know of some Nissan
4x4's that have 2 inch t bar lift with no adverse brake problems. The
harsher ride by the way is barely noticeable, which is a common 'complaint'
with this type of adjustment. I know Sway-A-Way makes some good Heavy Duty
Torsion bars. Last time I called them they make them for my 93 for $199.99,
so I would assume they also make them for your Dakota. These T Bars are a
single stage with a 22-30% increase in spring rate. They supply increases
spring rate to control increased tire/wheel weight. They reduce or prevent
bottoming on rough terrain. I cranked my torsion bars up my on 93 Dak
4x4(118,500 miles) so the truck would sit level with the rear. I would
eventually like to upgrade to these Sway A Way Bars, local shop will put
them in and adjust them for only $25! Also, with these aftermarket bar, if
you do crank them up for a lift, they will hold, stock bars are supposed to
fatigue over time and sag back down, mine havent sagged 'that much' though
in 45,000 miles, but I think eventually they will. If I remember right, I
needed to use a monkey bar(pipe) to give me more leverage, but you can
easily do this without air tools. I think that I cranked each side about a
quarter of a circle maybe like 7-10 times. I cranked up one t bar until I
had my desired height and then I went to the other side. Then once it was
about where I wanted it, mechanics and the manuals say the bounce on the
front bumper a couple of times, then recheck the height. Hope this helps ya
man, let me know if ya need more info. BTW, if you dont want to spend all
the $$$ fore the big ass sockets just buy them fom Sears, do your t bar
lift, and then return it and get your cash back, I have done this many times
especially when I need to change my transfer case fluid and I need to buy
that big ass 30MM wrench! I was by one of my dad's friends houses once, he
is a ASE mech, and he was working on a 92 Nissan 4x4. He cranked up the
front torsion bars and put those 1 1/2 inch add-a-leafs in the rear for a
nice small lift to clear 31's from the stock 235 tire size, I was very
impressed, it looked great with some 31 inch BFG Radial All Terrains in that
Nissan....he said that rear add-a-leafs were just 60 bucks, so its a very
very cheap lift. A pipe WILL help you out to slide over the ratchet(monkey
bar) along with some penetrant lube whe cranking them up. It is a very easy
to do lift, I would say if you want more height in the front do it, I did
and like it alot more. I have my front bars cranked up about 1/2"-3/4", to
make the truck look more level. I have had them cranked up for 3 years now,
with no negative effects. I would say, however, not to exceed 1" with the
front tbar crank. Otherwise, you will start eating front end components(ball
joints, CV Joints/Boots). I have seen Toyotas and Nissans with 2"-3" of lift
via cranking the tbars, but they also are using hi-angle CV Joints and
Boots. Also, it may be hard to get the front end back within acceptable
limits when doing a front end alignment. Of course it can, has, and will
continue to be done; it just depends on your wants at the time. The front
end components will wear more rapidly, but I doubt it will do anything
'harmful' for a short period of time. A 1" front tbar lift 'should' be ok,
just be sure to get a front end alignment after you have cranked them up.
Hope I didnt repeat myself tooo many times......Good Luck,
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6