Re: Question on Crate's

From: TommFern@aol.com
Date: Mon Mar 06 2000 - 16:35:00 EST

stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu writes:

<<
 On Mon, 6 Mar 2000, Dave Scelfo wrote:

> No can do. Not enought vacuum to run the crate motor with fuel injection.

   Not that I don't believe you or anything, but where did you get that
 info? I'm still trying to decide what sort of 360 I'll be putting in my
 Dak, but the 380 crate (as a starting point) is one of the options I'm
 looking at. I will definitely be using fuel injection (aftermarket). As
 I understand it, the only thing you need vacuum for as far as fuel
 injection is concerned, is to get accurate readings out of the MAP sensor.

    Anyway, do you have any more info about your statement? If the 380
 isn't going to work with EFI, I'd rather know about it now, rather than
 later, after I buy the thing. :-)
   That seems hard to believe though, as there are some wild, wild motors
 out there which run just fine with EFI, and the 380 crate seems rather
 tame, relatively speaking. Of course, one could always go to alpha-n
 if there isn't enough vacuum, but I'd like to try to stay with speed
 density if at all possible.

   Thanks!

                                               -Jon- >>

 If your running aftermarket EfI with a laptop, then you can run whatever you
want. The stock system,I'm told, will handle only 10 inches of vacuum before
driveability really starts to suffer. I run 225 dur @50, my buddy 230. A guy
at MTI is running 235@50 in a RT with no problems. I'm uncertain what his
vacuum is. My point is that you can go long way before you need DFI.
Tom